Today February 24 12 years since the founding of WhatsApp. An application that changed the way we communicate with our family, friends….
We are celebrating. Whatsapp It is 12 years old and we are going to talk a little about its beginnings and, also, we bring you the 10 news that we hope will arrive soon.
Whatsapp is, at the moment, in a somewhat delicate moment due to the issue of his new terms of service. We already have a definitive date to accept them and in case we don’t, it seems that we are going to have consequences. Anyway, we think this will pass and most people will stay in it out of laziness to change.
Next we are going to remember how it started.
How were the beginnings of WhatsApp ?:
It all started when Jan Koum co-founder of Whatsapp, he bought a iPhone in January 2009. Once he started using it, he realized the enormous potential these mobile devices had and the App Store.
Just when he turned 33, on February 24, 2009, he took a risk and founded Whatsapp. The name is inspired by the expression «What’s up», which in Spanish means something like “What happens”.
At first the app was only launched for iOS and it was used to show the status of the contact list. It was indicated if the person, whom you wanted to call, was already talking on the phone, had a low battery or if he was at the cinema, for example. This is what we can now configure in the “Info.” of our profile.
After months of hard work and after investing part of their savings in the app, the number of users did not grow and Koum he was about to leave the project. It was then that Manzana launching, in June 2009, the notifications push. This was great news for Jan. This allowed him to reprogram the app and relaunch it in September, converted into an instant messaging application. Within a few weeks, the number of users had grown to 250,000. And from there until today, it has become the most popular app in the world.
In fact, it is the application to which we have dedicated the most tutorials on our channel Youtube. Here is a playlist for you to get the most out of the app:
10 WhatsApp news we expect for 2021:
Here we show you the 10 new functions that, possibly, will arrive during this year 2021:
- News notifications and announcements so you know what’s new with every WhatsApp update. This is already done by Telegram and those of you who use this messaging app know that after each update you receive a message explaining everything new that comes to the application.
- Possibility of integrating purchases in this instant messaging app.
- Option «Read later» or similar. This will allow us to read WhatsApp messages when we can and not as soon as they reach our smartphone.
- Audio calls and video calls for the Web and Desktop version for Windows and Mac, now in BETA phase.
- Possibility to mute videos before sending them. In the editing options, we will find one that removes the audio from the video. This way you will only send the video without the audio.
- The Holiday mode It will allow us to temporarily archive chats and groups, keeping them muted and without any type of notifications.
- We will be able to log in on various platforms. This means that we can use our WhatsApp account, for example, on 2 or more phones at the same time.
- The WhatsApp app for iPad could arrive.
- The function could come so that the photos and videos you send also self-destruct. This improvement means that if you decide to send a photo, GIF, file or video you can put an “expiration date”, that is, you can choose how long it will be available. This is still in development.
- And finally, the novelty that we would least like to see come. The incorporation of internal announcements, which will be seen at the top of the chat list.
We do not know if all of them will arrive this year, but what we do know is that all these functions are rumored to be tested in Beta phases.
Without further ado, we hope that you have been interested in this news and that you share it with all those who may be interested.