Instagram presents Reels, a new way to create and discover short and fun videos in Instagram. It is the bet of those of Zuckerberg to compete with TikTok.
This new function can be found within the options of Instagram Stories and it allows us to record and edit videos of several 15-second clips to which we can add audio, effects and new creative tools.
This new way of creating videos will have its own feed and we can share the reels with our followers through a new space in the section “To explore”. The section Reels of “To explore” offers us the opportunity to become creators on Instagram and reach new audiences around the world.
How Instagram reels work:
To create reels we must, as we said at the beginning of this article, access the interface of the stories of Instagram. There, sliding the options that appear under the capture button, we must place ourselves on the option of this. Once we access we will see different creative editing tools on the left side of the screen, which will allow us to create our reel:
These options are:
- Audio: Choose a song in the Instagram music library or, also, record a reel with your own original audio. When you share a reel With original audio, this audio will be attributed to you, and if you have a public account, people will be able to create reels with it.
- Speed: Speed up or slow down some of the video or audio you select so you can keep up or create slow motion videos.
- AR effects: Record multiple clips with different effects. Select an effect from the gallery, which have been developed by Instagram and creators from all over the world.
- Timer and countdown: This option allows you to add a timer to record clips hands-free. Once we press to record, you will see a countdown of “3-2-1” before recording begins for the time we have previously selected.
- Alignment: It is an option that appears once we have recorded a clip. With it we can align the objects of previous clips before recording the next one. In this way, we can create smoother transitions from different moments, such as changing clothes or adding new friends to the reel.
Holding down the capture button we will record the clips. We will see a progress indicator at the top of the screen as we record. We can also include videos from our gallery.
How to share this new video format:
When we have our composition ready, we go to the sharing screen and in it we can save a draft, change the cover image, add text, hashtags and tag your friends. Once we share it, it will be included in the tab Reels independent of your profile, where people can find them. If you also share it in your feed, your reel will appear in the main profile grid, although you can remove it at any time.
If we have a public account:
We can share them in a special space in the section “To explore” for the vast community of Instagram. We can also publish it to our account to share it with our followers.
When we share reels that include certain songs, hashtags or effects, your reel it can also appear on specific pages, every time someone clicks on that song, that hashtag or effect.
If we have a private account:
If we share the reel in our account, only our followers will be able to see it. People will not be able to use the original audio from our reels nor can they share them with other people who do not follow you.
We can also share it in our stories, with your best friends or in direct messages. If we do so, our reel will follow the same behavior as a Storie normal and will not be shared on “To explore” with others reels, it will not show up on your profile and will disappear after 24 hours.
Where to see reels:
The section “To explore”, clicking on the publication marked as reels, will give us access to a vertical and personalized feed for us. Just like in TikTok, we must navigate through it to discover new videos and, of course, follow the users we like the most.
We will also see some reels with the tag “Outstanding”. If your reel stands out in the section “To explore”, you will receive a notification. The reels Featured are a set of public reels chosen by an Instagram selection team so you can discover original content that we hope will entertain or inspire you.
Without further ado and hoping to have made it clear how this new way of creating videos on Instagram works, we are waiting for you with new news, apps, tutorials … on this your website.