For many people, their iPhone’s greatest asset is its film. Hundreds if not thousands of memorabilia exist in the galleries. It makes sense that we want to keep these photos as long as possible. When it comes time to buy a new iPhone, the last thing you want to do is lose all the photos on your old phone. Here we show you how to transfer your photos from iPhone to iPhone.
The best method: iCloud
The fastest and easiest way to transfer your photos from one iPhone to another is through iCloud. It’s also the best way to make sure your photos are backed up securely. There is a caveat: it only contains 5 GB of storage, which can be easily refilled. This warning aside, to get started with iCloud Photo Backup:
1. Launch the Settings app and tap your name at the top.
2. Open “iCloud -> Photos” and make sure iCloud Photos is enabled at the top.
3. Sign in to the new iPhone with your existing Apple ID and repeat the same process. You have two options with this. The first is to save storage space by enabling “Optimize iPhone storage” or “Download and keep originals”. The second is, if you don’t have enough iCloud storage, Apple will prompt you to upgrade. Assuming you have sufficient storage space, photos will begin to display wirelessly. Depending on how many photos you have, it may take up to a few hours to complete everything.
You can also take an iCloud backup on the old iPhone and then choose to “Restore from iCloud Backup” on the new iPhone. This method will ensure that all photos stored on the other phone will be automatically transferred to a new iPhone.
AirDrop allows you to easily share files between your Apple devices. The first step is to make sure AirDrop is enabled on both iPhones. To do this, go to “Settings -> General -> AirDrop” and activate for “Everyone” or “Contacts only”. Once AirDrop is activated, go to the Photos app and head to a gallery or photo album.
1. Start choosing the photos you want to transfer to a new device. You can do this by tapping “Select” at the top of the album or gallery and then selecting the photos you want to transfer. Each selected photo will have a blue check mark on it.
2. Once you have checked all the photos you want to upload, click “Share Sheet” at the bottom left of the screen. It looks like a square with an arrow pointing up.
3. The AirDrop button should appear in the share sheet under your favorite contacts. The icon looks like concentric blue circles with a white icon at the bottom. Tap on it after locating it.
Find the name of the iPhone you want to share with. Tap on it and tap “Accept” on the new iPhone to start the transfer. Transfer time varies and depends on the number of photos or videos you transfer at a time. The more you share, the longer it will take to download. Each photo will automatically go to your general photo album.
Use Cloud Storage
If you find the iCloud storage space too limited, you can use another cloud service. All popular cloud services like Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive are working. All you have to do is download the app you want and save all your photos to the app. Almost all cloud storage applications will have the option to upload your photo album to its servers for a “cloud” storage backup.
Dropbox in particular is very popular and does a great job of backing up photos. To enable camera downloads, download the Dropbox app and tap the account icon at the bottom right. Search for “Camera Imports” and switch to “On”. Finally, tap on download and wait for the download to finish. Once the download is complete, download Dropbox to the new iPhone and upload any of the photos you want to natively save to your iPhone.
Create a shared album
Another iCloud method is to create a shared album. This is a popular method for sharing photos with a group of people, but can also be used for sharing with another iPhone.
1. Open the Photos app and select all the photos you want to share with a new iPhone. Once you have selected the photos, press the “Share sheet” button and scroll slightly until you see “Add to shared album”.
2. The Photos application will “upload” each photo to an album. It may take a minute or two depending on how many photos you are trying to share. Once the download is complete, it will ask you to enter a comment if you want.
3. Then you can choose who you want to share the album with. Enter your details or any contact information available on the new device. (An email would be better.) An iCloud album link will be sent to the email address.
4. Open the link and download the photos. They will automatically be saved directly to your Photos app.
With the above methods, transferring your photos from iPhone to iPhone shouldn’t be a scary prospect anymore. The next thing you might want to do is edit your photos on your iPhone so that they look great when shared with others.
Is this article useful?