Facebook has a data transfer tool that allows you to directly transfer your photos and videos to Dropbox, Koofr and Google Photos. The main advantage of this method is that you don’t need to manually upload and re-upload the photos / videos. In this guide, we explain exactly how to transfer your media out of Facebook.
Transfer Facebook Photos and Videos to Your Computer
1. On your computer, open the Facebook website. Log in to your account and from the arrow icon at the top right, select “Settings and Privacy”.
2. Here, click on the “Settings” button.
3. Select “Your Facebook Info” from the left menu.
Here you will see “Upload a copy of your photos or videos”. Click on the “Show” button next to it.
4. After entering your password again, you will be presented with the options of different services to transfer your media. These are Google Photos, Dropbox and Koofr. Choose the cloud storage service you want to transfer to.
5. In the next step, choose whether you want to transfer your photos or videos to cloud storage. Unfortunately, you can only choose to transfer one at a time, so if you want to transfer both, you will have to repeat the entire process.
There is no option to select particular photos / videos. Facebook will transfer whatever is uploaded to your account.
6. Once you have selected the type of media you want to transfer, Facebook will ask you to sign in to your cloud storage account.
7. Log in to your account and click “Allow” to allow Facebook to add photos and videos.
8. Once back on Facebook, click on the “Confirm Transfer” button to start the transfer process.
The tool runs in the background, so you can choose to close the tab if you want. You can check the progress by reviewing the transfer tool page, and the “Activity” section will show you the status of the transfer. Facebook will also send you a notification when the process is complete.
It is relevant to note that all photos / videos will be transferred to the same album structure in which they are available on your profile. For example, you’ll see separate folders for profile photos, cover photos, timeline photos, and more.
Transfer Facebook Photos and Videos Using Facebook App
If you don’t have access to a computer, you can perform the same process on your mobile.
1. Open the Facebook app on your iPhone, iPad or Android device.
2. Open the Settings menu by tapping the three-line icon located in the lower right corner of the app.
3. Scroll down and select the “Settings” option under Settings & Privacy.
4. In the “Your Facebook information” section, tap “Upload a copy of your photos or videos”.
5. Enter your Facebook password and press “Continue”.
6. Choose your destination cloud storage service and indicate whether you want to upload your photos or videos.
7. Enter your cloud storage account details and grant Facebook permission to add media. Likewise, in the Facebook app, select “Confirm Transfer” to begin the process.
Your transfer will take place in the background. Facebook will notify you when your photos and / or videos have been successfully moved.
With the process detailed above, you will have a backup copy of all your Facebook media saved in the cloud. Besides transferring your media out of Facebook, you can also mass delete your messages in Facebook Messenger. And if you’re planning on quitting Facebook, check out some of the best Facebook alternatives here.
Is this article useful?