Whether you have a busy schedule or just have a bad memory, it’s easy to forget about dates, meetings, or even important family events, such as birthdays and anniversaries. If you have an Amazon Alexa account, you can sync your calendars with Alexa and ask Alexa to read your upcoming appointments, remind you of important events, and even add new events to your calendar using just voice commands.
In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to connect your calendar to your Amazon Alexa account and make sure you never forget your birthday again.
How to sync your calendar with Alexa
Whether you want to add Google, Microsoft, or Apple Calendar to your Alexa-enabled device, the initial steps are always the same:
1. Launch the Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet.
2. In the upper left corner, tap the “Menu” icon.
3. Tap “Settings -> Calendar & Email”.
4. Tap “Add account”.
You can now choose which calendar app you want to add to your Alexa account:
Link Google Calendar to Amazon Alexa
If you use Google Calendar, follow these instructions:
1. Tap “Google”.
2. Alexa will now request access to your email and calendar; push each of these sliders to the “On” position.
3. Tap “Next”.
4. When prompted, enter your Google Account sign-in information.
5. Alexa will now ask for permission to access your emails and calendar; read the information on the screen, and if you agree, press “Allow”.
Your Google Calendar will now be added to Alexa and will be accessible through your Alexa enabled device.
Microsoft Outlook Calendar Connection
Microsoft’s Calendar is tightly integrated with Outlook, making it easy to switch between your inbox and your calendar – perfect for juggling all those incoming email invitations!
To add Microsoft Calendar to your Alexa account:
1. Tap “Microsoft”.
2. Alexa will now request access to your email and calendar; push these two “Permissions” sliders to the “Enabled” position.
3. Enter the login information for your Microsoft account and press “Next”.
4. Read the authorization requests and, if you accept them, select “Accept”.
Your account has now been successfully added to your Amazon Alexa account.
Sync Apple Calendar and Enable Two-Factor Authentication
Apple’s Calendar app is built into macOS and iOS devices and offers full backup functionality through Apple’s popular iCloud service.
To add Apple’s Calendar to Amazon Alexa:
1. In the Amazon Alexa app, tap “Apple -> Next”.
2. At this point, you will be prompted to configure two-factor authentication for your Apple account. To configure this additional layer of security, press “Next”.
3. When prompted, launch your iPhone’s “Settings” application.
4. Find your name at the top of the screen and tap it.
5. Tap “Password & Security”.
6. When prompted, enter your iCloud account password.
7. Tap “Enable two-factor authentication”, if you haven’t already. If it is already enabled, go to steps 13 and 14. Skip steps 15 and 16 and repeat them in step 17.
8. Answer the security questions associated with your Apple account.
9. You will now be prompted to enter the details of the credit card registered with your Apple account.
10. When it needs to verify your identity, Apple will send a verification code to your smartphone; enter the number at which you wish to receive these codes.
11. Tap “Next” and Apple will send a verification code to the number you provided.
12. Enter this verification code on your iPhone.
Next, you will need to enter some information into a web browser. To make your life easier, you can upgrade to a laptop or computer for this step!
13. Go to Apple ID web page.
14. Enter your Apple ID username and password.
15. Apple will now send a notification to your iOS device. Read the notification, then tap “Allow” if you agree.
16. A verification code will now appear on your iOS device; enter this code in your web browser.
17. On the next web page, find the “Security” section and click “Generate a password…”
18. You will now be prompted to enter the base of an app specific password that you will use to connect your Alexa app to your Apple calendar. Enter the password you want to use, then click “Create”.
19. Apple will now use this password to generate a more secure, application-specific password. Write down this password.
20. Go back to your Alexa mobile app and tap “Add Apple Calendar”.
21. On the next screen, enter your Apple ID.
22. Enter the app-specific password that Apple generated for you in the previous step.
23. Tap “Login”.
Your Apple calendar will now be connected to your Alexa account.
Control your schedule from your Alexa-enabled device
Now that you’ve added your Google, Microsoft, or Apple calendar to your Alexa account, you can ask it questions on your calendar. For example, you can ask:
- Alexa, what are my plans for Saturday?
- Alexa, am I busy Monday?
- Alexa, do I have plans for August 14?
- Alexa, what’s my schedule for this afternoon?
You can also add an event to your Google, Microsoft or Apple calendar by saying: “Alexa, add an event to my calendar. “Alexa will now walk you through the process of adding a new event to your calendar.
Syncing your calendars with Alexa only solves part of the puzzle. You should always fill it with useful calendars and events to make sure you are informed about important matters.
Is this article useful?