Apple Watch offers a multitude of features, including heart rate and step tracking, noise detection, fall detection, ECG detection and more. However, many users do not know how to start training on the Apple Watch and instead anticipate that the watch will start recording activity by itself. In this guide, we will see how to start, pause and stop a workout and how to get a detailed analysis of a workout.
How to start a workout
1. On your Apple Watch, press the Digital Crown button to open the application screen.
2. Open the Workout application. You will find a list of different exercises.
3. Select the workout you are about to perform. This will automatically start recording the workout. Depending on the type, the watch can measure distance traveled, heart rate, calories burned, etc. Please note that any distance traveled will only be recorded if the location services are activated.
How to pause a workout
If you ever need to take a break between training, it is advisable to stop the training. Otherwise, the discrepancy will affect your training and could affect the overall statistics. It is also possible to completely finish a workout and start a new one, but interrupting the exercise is less complicated.
To pause a workout:
1. Swipe right on the training screen of your Apple Watch.
2. Tap Pause.
To resume a workout, swipe right in the same way and tap the Resume button.
Here, if you press the “New” button, you can add another type of activity to your training. It is particularly useful if you are doing circuit training, for example by including running, cycling and strength training in the same workout. After pressing “New”, select the new activity and the time starts from 0. If you want to add a third activity, repeat this process.
How to end a workout
To end a workout, just swipe right from the workout screen and tap “End.” This will end the training and present you with a brief summary of your training. All activities will be presented here if you have done several. In addition, the total time will include all activities together.
To view a full summary of your training:
1. Access the Activity application on your iPhone.
2. In the bottom tabs, select “Workouts”.
3. Select the workout you want to view. This will give you a detailed analysis of your training.
How to change training measures
By default, you will only have access to five measures during a workout on your Apple Watch. However, you can customize them according to your tastes. To customize visible training measures:
1. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
2. Press the “My watch” tab, then “Training -> Training display”.
3. Press “Multiple Metric” or “Single Metric”. If you choose Multiple Metric, you can choose up to five measures to display for each workout.
4. Select the workout you want to modify. Tap Edit in the upper right corner and add / remove measurements as desired.
Using the tips above, you can use your Apple Watch properly for workouts. You can also choose to generate reports on your Apple Watch activity at the end of each month.
Is this article useful?