If you need to monitor your home remotely when you’re not around, using an indoor camera is a good option. the Ring Camera is a popular camera that you can use to monitor your home or anyone inside. Here we will show you how to set up your Ring camera. We’ll also set up motion alerts, so you get notified if your kids or pet do anything wrong. Since Ring cameras all have two-way conversation, you’ll even be able to scold your kids from a distance – no guarantee they’ll listen to you, though!
Note: In this article, we use the Ring camera as a pet surveillance camera.
Register your Ring camera
If your indoor camera is a new purchase, you will need to register it with your Ring app:
1. Launch the Ring mobile app.
2. In the upper right corner, tap the hamburger icon.
3. Select “Configure a device”.
4. Select “Security Cams”.
5. You can now scan the QR code or MAC ID printed on your Ring indoor camera. If you have trouble finding this code, see the documentation that came with your camera.
6. Once the Ring app recognizes your indoor camera, your smartphone or tablet will request access to your location. If you do not allow Ring to access your location, you will need to enter your address manually. Otherwise, if you’ve previously granted Ring location permissions, you’ll be prompted to choose a location from a list.
7. You can now give this camera a unique name, which will represent this camera in your Ring app.
8. Next, you will need to put your indoor camera into configuration mode. This process will vary depending on your device, but typically involves pressing and holding a button on your Ring device.
9. In the Ring app, press the “Continue” button.
10. Ring now asks you to join the Ring Wi-Fi network; press “Join”. You should now see a list of available networks. Select the Wi-Fi network on which you want to install your indoor camera.
11. Enter your Wi-Fi password, then press “Continue”.
12. At this point, your camera may need to be updated. If the light on the front of your Ring camera is blinking blue, you will need to wait for it to finish blinking.
13. Once the light stops flashing, tap “Continue” in the Ring app. Your indoor camera is now ready for use.
Install your indoor security camera
You will now need to position your security camera. The Ring Indoor Camera is designed to be moved around your home, so it’s easy to set up – often you’ll just need to position your camera on a shelf or counter in the area you want to monitor.
Where you want to place the camera will depend on what you want to monitor. If you are curious about what your nocturnal animal does at night, you can set up a camera in front of their enclosure. Alternatively, if you want to check that your cat isn’t climbing all over the kitchen counters, it probably makes sense to install a camera in your kitchen.
You should also make sure that the camera is out of reach of your pet. Some animals are known to nibble on cables, you may need to take precautions to protect the camera cable, adapter, and your pet!
Once your camera is set up, plug in the power cord and plug the adapter into a power outlet.
Now that your camera is set up, you can monitor your pet using the Ring app:
1. Launch the Ring app on your phone.
2. Tap the hamburger icon in the upper left corner, then select “Dashboard”.
3. Find your Ring Camera and tap it. You should now see the live view of the camera.
4. To activate Ring’s two-way conversation, tap the “Microphone” or “Call” icon. You can end the call by pressing the “Mute / End call” button.
How to create movement zones
Once you’ve set up your Ring camera, you may want to create motion zones. These areas can be especially useful if certain areas in your home are strictly off-limits.
By combining movement zones and notifications, you will get a warning if your pet sets foot in an area strictly reserved for humans.
To create one or more movement zones:
1. In the Ring app, tap your camera. You should now see the live stream.
2. In the upper right corner, tap the “cog” icon.
3. Select “Motion settings -> Motion zones”.
4. Tap “Add motion zone”.
5. A color box should now appear on the screen. Drag the corners of this colorful box until it covers the area you want to monitor.
6. To bring this movement zone to life, press “Active”.
7. To add further motion zones, press “Add another motion zone”, then rinse and repeat.
To receive a notification when Ring detects motion in one of your zones, push the “Motion Notifications” slider to the “On” position.
Now you will receive a notification whenever motion is detected in any of your motion zones. You can then access the live stream, by tapping on the notification.
Ring protection plan
If you bought a Ring Protect Plan, then Ring will store all your recordings for 30 days, even if you turn off notifications.
If you have previously enabled notifications, you will need to disable them:
1. Launch the Ring app.
2. Tap the camera you are using as a pet monitor.
3. Select the “cog” icon.
4. Push the “Motion notifications” slider to the “Off” position.
Now you won’t receive any push notifications, but the related recordings will still be accessible through the Ring app. Launch your app, tap the hamburger icon, then select “History.”
To view all of your motion alerts, tap the small “Motion” icon.
You can now play any recording in the list by tapping on it.
As you can see, setting up your Ring Indoor Camera is easy. If you work from home and need a webcam for a meeting, you can also turn your Wzye security camera into a webcam. Here’s how.
Is this article useful?