In this guide you will learn how to set up AirTag using iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to track your important things like keys, suitcases, luggage and more.
Things to set up AirTag successfully are as follows:
- The iOS device you are going to use for setting up AirTag must have iOS 14.5 or iPadOS 14.5 or later installed and two-factor authentication must be turned on.
- Make sure Find My and Bluetooth are turned on.
- You need a good Wi-Fi or cellular data connection.
- Location settings:
You also need to turn on the Location Services, you can go to Settings> Privacy> Location Services and make sure it is turned on.
To find a more accurate location for you, you can turn on Find My Location Access. To do this, go to Settings> Privacy> Location Services, then scroll down and tap Find me. Here, under the section “ACCESS TO LOCATION”, check the option “While using the app” and then turn on the Exact location switch, which is available at the bottom.
Set up AirTag
Before following the steps below, make sure that your device is ready for installation, and that you meet the above requirements
- If you are going to set up a new AirTag, then remove the plastic casing around the AirTag and pull it out from under the battery so that AirTag will be turned on. You will hear a sound when you successfully turn on AirTag.
- Now place your AirTag near your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. You will see an instruction on the iPhone screen that will help you with the setup process.
Do not detect the AirTag? You can lock and unlock your device again to see if it detects the AirTag, or to make sure AirTag is not more than 5 cm away from the device
- Follow the on-screen instructions, just tap Connect.
COMMENT: If you have more than one AirTags near your iOS device, you can only set one at a time. So make sure you only have one AirTag near your device.
- On the next screen, select an item name from the available options, or even select a custom name for your AirTag, then tap Continue.
- Simply tap Done to complete the setup and now you can attach your AirTag with the item you want to track. Check the item in the Find My App and always make sure that your AirTag has enough battery life so that you can continue to locate the item.
CLUE: You can also configure AirTag directly from the Find My App. Open the Find My app, tap the Items tab, and then tap Add Item.
Do you want to rename the AirTag?
- Open the Find My app on your device.
- Tap the Items tab, then tap the AirTag you want to rename or change the emoji.
- Scroll down and tap Rename option.
- You can choose a name from the existing list or even choose a personal name.
- When you are done, tap Done and save the settings.
AirTag sets up debugging
If you are having trouble setting up AirTag on your device, you can try the following steps.
- Make sure that you meet the above requirements.
- AirTag you are trying to configure may not be linked to another Apple ID. If you get this message, ask the person to remove it from their Apple ID.
- Always place one AirTag near the device while setting it up.
- Remove the AirTag battery and replace it.
- If you are still not working, try repairing the AirTag.