There is no other way to tell. AirPods are small, great to use, and don’t have all of the cords that literally tie us to our phones. Unfortunately, they’re also incredibly easy to lose. If you haven’t already, there’s a good chance that someday you’ll misplace one or both of your AirPods. Do not panic! Apple is ready for this scenario. Here’s how to easily find your lost AirPods.
How to use “Find My” to find missing AirPods
To get started, open the “Find My” app on your iPhone or iPad. If this is your first time using the app, it will ask you if it can use your location. You can choose from one of three options, and one of the first two is essential for finding your lost AirPods or lost iPhone or iPad in the future. Choose “Allow when using the app” or “Allow once” and continue. Enabling GPS location services is essential for any lost Apple device.
Once the location has been sorted with the application open, click on “Devices” at the bottom. With this window open, you will be able to see all of your existing Apple devices. Everything from Macs to iPads to AirPods will be displayed on this screen. You should see one of the following two options:
1. Under your AirPods, you will see an identifiable location.
2. No location found. This message will be available if you didn’t turn on Find My before your AirPods disappeared, or if your AirPods aren’t charged. It could also mean that they are out of range of your iOS device. If this message is received, you will not be able to locate your AirPods.
Locate Lost AirPods
Assuming your AirPods can be located, the next step is to play sound to locate them. This is especially useful if you think they are lost somewhere in the house, workplace, etc.
1. To play a sound, click on “Devices” and your AirPods in the list of available Apple hardware that you have. Click on “Play Sound” and allow the app to connect to AirPods. When they log in, they chirp.
2. Once the sound starts, you have a few options. You can click on the left or right AirPod if you only need to locate one. You can also click “Stop” when you find the missing AirPod (s).
How to find missing AirPods on a computer
If you need to locate your AirPods from a computer, that’s okay. It works on both Windows and Mac computers as the solution is browser based.
1. Go to iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID. Open the Find iPhone icon, which is at the bottom right on the second row.
2. The map will then open with a GPS ID indicating where your Apple devices are located. If the dots are green, they are live. A gray dot means they are out of battery or out of range of the tracker. If your AirPods are separated from each other, you will only see one location on the map at a time. In this case, place the AirPod you have in the case, refresh the map, and locate the missing left or right AirPod.
3. To find the missing AirPods, click on “All devices” at the top of the screen.
4. Click the “Play Sound” button, wait for the chirping to start and locate the missing AirPod.
The good news is that Apple makes finding a missing AirPod incredibly easy. Using the Find My tool is much less of a headache than forking over $ 89 for a missing AirPod Pro or $ 69 for a missing AirPod. Find yourself a good case, put them in a bag or purse, and keep them nearby whenever you are out of the house.
Now that you have found your lost AirPods, don’t forget to clean your AirPods regularly, as they will be filled with your earwax after prolonged use.
Is this article useful?