Want to send something from one Apple device to another? With the Universal Clipboard feature, you can copy data such as text, images, photos and videos from one device and then paste the copied content to another. There are a few requirements before you can use this feature.
You can use the universal clipboard on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Mac, but you must first meet the requirements of the continuity system. Once you have set up your devices and get those devices close together, you can copy and paste the content between devices.
Will your device work with Universal Clipboard?
Next devices with iOS 10 or later
- iPhone 5 or later
- iPad Pro (all models)
- iPad (4th generation) or newer
- iPad Air or newer
- iPad mini 2 or newer
- iPod touch (6th generation) or newer
Next devices macOS High Sierra or later
- MacBook launched in 2015 or later
- MacBook Pro was launched in 2012 or later
- MacBook Air Launched in 2012 or Later
- Mac mini launched in 2012 or later
- iMac was launched in 2012 or later
- iMac Pro (all models)
- Mac Pro launched in 2013 or later
How to set up universal clipboard
Follow these steps to set up your Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod touch devices
- Make sure your devices are signed in with the same Apple ID for iCloud.
- On your devices you need to turn on Bluetooth and WiFi.
- Turn on Handoff on devices (if you do not know how to do this, see this manual on setting up Handoff).
Steps to turn on Handoff on your Apple devices
on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch:
Open Settings and go to General> Handoff and turn it on.
On your Mac:
Click the Apple menu> System Preferences in the upper left corner, then click General. Now select “Allow manual offerings between this Mac and your iCloud devices.”
How to use the universal clipboard
Copy from your device the content you want to transfer to another device, such as text, image, videos or others. The Universal Clipboard lets you transfer entire files from one Mac to another. But your Mac must have at least MacOS High Sierra or later installed.
Once you copy the content as usual, it will be automatically added to the clipboard of devices in the area that meet the above requirements. Just go to the other device and paste it. Anything you copied will be available for a short period of time or will be replaced with the next content you copied.
I really like this feature for quickly transferring content between Apple devices. Please leave a comment below. If you need further assistance, you can also leave your question with the comment form, and we will be happy to answer your question.