Todoist is a popular to-do app that you can use to create shopping lists, set up daily reminders, or even use as the basis of your business’s to-do management system. But did you know that Todoist integrates with Alexa? By linking Todoist to your Amazon Alexa account, you can add and delete items, create shopping lists and reminders, and check your schedule just by chatting with Alexa!
Let’s see how you can manage your schedule and to-do lists by connecting Todoist to Alexa.
Create a Todoist account
To complete this tutorial, you need a Todoist account. If you don’t have an account yet, you can create a Todoist account for free.
Connect Alexa and Todoist
Once you have an account, you’re ready to introduce Todoist to Amazon Alexa:
1. On your smartphone or tablet, launch the Amazon Alexa app.
2. In the upper left corner, tap the “Menu” icon.
3. Tap “Settings -> Lists”.
4. Search for ‘Todoist’ and tap the accompanying ‘+’ icon.
5. Tap “Activate to use”.
6. Todoist will now ask for permission to access and edit information in your Alexa lists. If you agree to grant these permissions, press “Save permissions”.
7. You will be prompted to enter your Todoist username and password.
8. After a few moments, you should see the following message: “Todoist has been linked successfully.”
Create shopping lists, recurring tasks, to-do lists and more
Now that your Todoist and Alexa accounts are connected, let’s take a look at some of the ways you can use this integration:
- Add items to your shopping list. For example, say “Alexa, add coffee to my shopping listAnd Alexa will add coffee to the Alexa Shopping List project in Todoist.
- Add items to your to-do list. Need to make an appointment with your vet? Say “Alexa, add the following event at 9am tomorrow: call the vet,And Alexa will add this task to your to-do list.
- Mark tasks as completed. Did you just hang up with your vet? You can remove this item from your to-do list by saying: “Alexa, mark the “ call the vet ” task as complete.“
- Add recurring tasks. Some tasks are recurring, so why waste time adding the same task to your to-do list over and over? For example, you can create a recurring phone bill by saying: “Alexa, add pay the phone bill every first to my to-do listAnd Alexa will schedule this task on the first of every month.
- Check your to-do list. You can hear a preview of your schedule using a command such as: “Alexa, what’s on my to-do list?“
Access your Alexa lists from Todoist
Since information is synced between your Todoist and Amazon Alexa accounts, you can also access your Alexa shopping list and Alexa to-do list through your Todoist account:
If you sign in to your Todoist account, you’ll see the following new projects:
- Alexa shopping list. Any items you add to your shopping list through Alexa will appear in this project.
- Alexa to-do list. Any tasks that you add to your to-do list through Alexa will appear in this project.
How to Add Items to Your Alexa Shopping List
To add an item to Todoist’s Alexa Shopping List project:
1. Log in to your Todoist account.
2. In the left menu, click to expand the “Projects” section.
3. Select “Alexa Shopping List”.
4. Click on “Add a task”.
5. Type the item you want to add to your shopping list, then click “Add task”.
6. Rinse and repeat for each item you want to add to your shopping list.
Once you’ve added one or more items to your shopping list, you can ask Alexa to read your list using the following command: “Alexa, what’s on my shopping list?“
Alexa will read your list again, with all the items you just added.
Get Organized: How to Create a To-Do List
You can also add tasks through Todoist:
1. Log in to your Todoist account.
2. From the left menu, select “Projects -> Alexa Task List”.
3. Click on “Add a task”.
4. Enter a description for the task you want to create.
5. Give this task an optional date and time by clicking “Schedule” and then making your selection.
6. When you have finished entering the information, click “Add a task”.
7. Rinse and repeat for each task you want to add to your to-do list.
You can now ask Alexa about your tasks using a command such as: “Alexa, what’s on my to-do list?“
Amazon Alexa supports a range of third-party apps and services, such as Spotify and Apple Music, Kindle and Audible. What are your favorite integrations to use with Alexa? Let us know in the comments below!
Is this article useful?