I just updated my Windows 10 to the version of 2004’s new features and when it comes to installing the update on the desktop, I see that the space between the icon increases. I absolutely did not like the way they now show the icons. I’m not sure it’s just me who sees the icon as if Microsoft did it on purpose. So I decided to reduce the icon distance so that it looks a bit compact and get more icons on the desktop.
Change the spacing between the computer icons Windows 10
I could not find any way to change the icon distance from the Windows 10 settings. But I found a registry adjustment that allows the editing of icons horizontally and vertically. Here’s how to do it.
- Press Windows + R key combination to open Windows Run, or right-click the Start button and select the Run option.
regeditin the text box and press enter to open Windows Registry Editor.
- Now navigate to the next directory in the registry editor.
ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktopWindowMetricsHere, if you select the WindowsMetrics folder, you will see the following two keys on the right with the name:
- As you can see, the values of these two keys are -1700 in the Data column. We need to change it to ideal value -1100 of everything you want.
- Double click on the
IconSpacingkey to change the value to -1100 and repeat for the
- As you can see, the value for both keys is -1100.
- Just log out of your account and log in again to see the changes
You can adjust the value a bit to adjust the distance between icons as you like, because for me -1100 is good and I can see more icons on the desktop.
Did this happen to your desktop when you updated Windows 10? Please leave a comment below and let us know if this guide works for you.