Check the type of drive in Windows operating system
Although this article is written specifically to identify the type of media player. In other words, how to check the type of drive in Windows operating system. Drive type means your system is using Hard disk (HDD) or SSD (Hard disk).
The hard drive or SSD is basically a storage drive, which is one of the major parts of computer components. It plays an important role in your office or in a laptop. We can’t think of a computer without a storage drive.
[Read: Major Computer Components with Images and their Functions]
A computer machine requires a space in which an operating system can be installed. The operating system can be any system like Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc. They all need storage. Once the operating system is installed, you can access a number of features of it. Besides, you can save your files and folders, videos and music files, documents, etc. on the storage drive which is a hard drive.
Difference between HDD and SSD
To clarify what is HDD and SSD? You need to know what is the difference between HDD and SSD before knowing what type of drive your system has:
Hard disk – A hard disk drive is a physical component of a computer assembly and a storage drive, also called a hard drive or hard drive. It is directly connected to the motherboard using cables such as ATA (Advanced Technology Attachment) or SATA (serial AT attachment)
The hard drive contains trays inside with an airtight casing. It has a magnetic head, which keeps moving fast, and data is written to the platters using a magnetic head.
SSD – An SSD drive is also a storage drive such as a hard drive. It is small in size, uses chips and has no trays or moving parts. This provides an advantage that makes it faster, low power consumption, reliability and quiet operation. The SSD also uses a SATA cable to connect directly to the system motherboard.
How do you know if your drive is a hard drive or an SSD?
Here are the four different methods by which you can easily check whether your drive type is HDD or SSD:
- Tap Keyboard Combination Win + R to open the Run dialog
- Type dfrgui and press Enter button or click OK. This will launch the Optimize Drives window
- Under Status, check Type of support is HDD or SSD
In my case, its hard drive. Check the image below:
- hurry Win + R to open the Run dialog
- Type msinfo32 and press Enter or click OK
- In the System Information Utility window, navigate to Components -> Storage -> Disks
- In the right pane, find the media type. In my case it is displayed as a fixed hard drive.
Fixed hard drive means Hard disk (Hard disk)
- Go to Windows Search and type, PowerShell
- Right click and select Execute as administrator
- Type or copy and paste the command below into PowerShell. Then press Enter and wait for the result.
- Check Type of support to check your system’s drive type. In my case, it’s the hard drive.
- Open your Windows task manager
- Click on Performance tongue
- To select Disk from the left pane
Check the drive information to the right and you will find your system’s drive type and associated information.
[Read: Open Windows Task Manager with 9 Different Ways]
Hence, all of the above methods are very easy to check the drive you have on your Windows computer. Any of the above methods will help you determine which type of your hard drive is hard drive or SSD.
For any questions or comments, comment below.